from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an orchid of the genus Liparis having few leaves and usually fairly small yellow-green or dull purple flowers in terminal racemes.
- n. The type genus of the Liparididae, consisting of certain of the snailfishes.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In ichthyology, a genus of fishes, so called by Artedi in 1738 from the soft smooth skin, typical of the family Liparididæ, having the ventral disk well developed. The type of the genus is Cyclopterus liparis of Linnæus.
- n. In entomology, a genus of arctiid moths, founded by Ochsenheimer in 1810.
- n. A genus of orchidaceous herbs, some terrestrial and some epiphytes, belonging to the tribe Epidendreæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an orchid of the genus Liparis having few leaves and usually fairly small yellow-green or dull purple flowers in terminal racemes
- n. type genus of the Liparididae: snailfishes
Sorry, no etymologies found.