from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the subfamily Sapindoideae — lychee.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The fruit of a tree native to China (Nephelium Litchi). It is nutlike, having a rough but tender shell, containing an aromatic pulp, and a single large seed. In the dried fruit which is exported the pulp somewhat resembles a raisin in color and form.
- n. A genus of East Indian sapindaceous trees consisting of a single species (Litchi Chinensis, syn. Nephelium Litchi) which bears the litchi nut.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of sapindaceous trees included by Bentham and Hooker in the genus Nephelium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. Chinese fruit having a thin brittle shell enclosing a sweet jellylike pulp and a single seed; often dried
- n. Chinese tree cultivated especially in Philippines and India for its edible fruit; sometimes placed in genus Nephelium
Sorry, no etymologies found.