from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of northwest England on the Mersey River near its mouth on the Irish Sea. First colonized by Norsemen in the late eighth century, Liverpool received a charter from King John in 1207. Today it is highly industrialized and a major port. Population: 469,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A seaport on Merseyside, England.
- proper n. A town in New York State.
- proper n. A town in Canada.
- proper n. A town in Australia.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In steeple-chasing, a jump constructed (according to the rules of the National Steeplechase and Hunt Association) of a ditch five feet wide and two feet deep, guarded on the taking-off side by a single rail, and having on the landing side a fence of not less than four feet and six inches in perpendicular height.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large city in northwestern England; its port is the country's major outlet for industrial exports
Sorry, no etymologies found.
LIVERPOOL, England — Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina accidentally pushed the ball into his own net to hand Arsenal a 1-1 draw at Anfield in their Premier League opener on Sunday.
• Louise Taylor: Torres's value is not just on the pitch• Huang bid one of many offers for Liverpool, says Broughton• Profile: The Chinese businessman who wants to buy Liverpool• Overseas investors seek football's pot of TV gold "I know that one trophy here at Liverpool – maybe the Premier League – means more than three or four with another club," the Spain striker said.
Steven Gerrard was playing behind Torress and that has always always been the right combination for liverpool and somehow Hodgson and Benitez didnt seem to agree with it.. the harsh penalty came at a very wrong time for Liverpool coz it seemed that they had come to old trafford to take the game to Man U..
LIVERPOOL - Fernando Torres fired Liverpool into the Europa League semi-finals this morning
LIVERPOOL, England - Liverpool acquired Danish midfielder Christian Poulsen from Juventus on Thursday and signed him to a three-year contract.
Pink Floyd (Picture) play the opening concert of the 'summer pops' at the liverpool echo arena Liverpool, England ....
LIVERPOOL (AFP) - Alberto Aquilani intends to make up for lost time by playing a crucial role as Liverpool look to salvage their season, but may have to sit out
LIVERPOOL (AFP) - Liverpool striker Fernando Torres will visit a specialist to assess the full extent of the knee injury which forced him to miss Sunday's 0-0 draw with Fulham.
LIVERPOOL: Liverpool striker Fernando Torres will visit a specialist to assess the full extent of the knee injury which forced him to miss Sunday's 0-0 draw with Fulham.
LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) - Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has ridiculed the prospect of a play-off to decide which English Premier League side gets the fourth Champions League place.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.