American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient country of west-central Asia Minor on the Aegean Sea in present-day northwest Turkey. Noted for its wealth and the magnificence of its capital, Sardis, it may have been the earliest kingdom to use minted coins (seventh century B.C.).
- n. A historic region of SW Asia Minor/Persia.
- n. biblical A woman converted by Paul; presumably named for ancestry or residence in Lydia.
- n. A female given name of Greek or biblical origin, meaning "beautiful, noble one" or "woman from Lydia/Persia (see above)".
- n. an ancient region on the coast of western Asia Minor; a powerful kingdom until conquered by the Persians in 546 BC
- Ancient Greek Λυδία, said to be named for a king Λυδός (Lydus). From Ancient Greek Λυδία (lydia, "beauty, beautiful, noble one"). (Wiktionary)
“After a dye job and a little rhinoplasty, she moves to the U.S. and takes the name Lydia Snaresbrook.”
“Concerning 'Wardrobe advice', hmm; isn't that what Lady Lydia is ofering in response to the lack of beauty and simple elligance out there in everyday life?”
“Lady Lydia is also extremely inspirational here at this blog.”
“In a recent post on Asylum, John Self reviews Vivant Denon's novella, Point de Lendemain, which we recently published in Lydia Davis's translation as No Tomorrow.”
“Maybe he'll explain Lydia, the tattooed lady, to me.”
“Lydia is an interesting character: brave, capable, yet mild-mannered and self-effacing.”
“For the story to work at all, it had to be bigger than that one event, which is why it was so important to create, in Lydia, a character the reader could really follow and get behind.”
“After my last meal, I learned that the chef's wife, Lydia, is his business partner and that the couple own another, older restaurant in Manassas called Panino.”
“Marriage, as you say Lady Lydia, is also designed for those who are 'not getting along'.”
“Thanks again Lydia for a post that tells the truth and uplifts us like a drink of cold water in the desert.”
‘Lydia’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Lydia.