from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An offensive ballistic missile system having warheads aimed at independent targets that can be launched by a single booster rocket.
- n. One of these warheads.
- transitive v. To provide with multiple independent warheads.
- intransitive v. To equip a military force with a missile system of multiple independent warheads.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- abbr. multiple independently-targettable reentry vehicle - the independently targettable reentry capsule for a ballistic missile's payload, typically a nuclear weapon, where the missile has multiple instances of such
m(ultiple) i(ndependently-targeted) r(eentry) v(ehicles).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)