from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of a Gnostic sect originating in Jordan and still existing in Iraq.
- n. A form of Aramaic used by the Mandeans.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of Mandaean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the form of Aramaic used by the Mandeans
- adj. of or relating to the Mandaean people or their language or culture
- n. a member of a small Gnostic sect that originated in Jordan and survives in Iraq and who believes that John the Baptist was the Messiah
Some believed it had come from the Mandeans the Mandean love for the river and its waters being well known.
Or does the Mandean witness prove John's existence?
Attar's work has been an inspiration for artists both classic and modern, not to mention a great jazz record by Dave Holland, and the simurgh inspired a great MonkeyFilter post by the quidnunc kid, which I urge you to visit for many more links, including some gorgeous illustrations and a long and involving Mandean tale about the bird's visit to the noble king Hirmiz Shah.
Academics still rely heavily on the material she collected, which includes many photographs of their rituals and copies of the Mandean holy books.
They've considered returning to Syria, where at least they understand the language and there is a small Mandean community.
About ninety percent of the Mandean community report that they have left or been killed.
The minority clause of the election law, which was finalised on November 3, 2008, provided three seats for Christians, and one each for Yazidi, Mandean and Shabak representatives.
For this week's Tune In, we asked ice cream entrepreneur and Brooklyn Radio jock Mandean what he's been blasting in the box lately.
Mandean feeds stray cats and the occasional homeless dude his homemade ice cream.
Radio Edit, Mandean laces your internet dial with a show sponsored by
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.