from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Christian feast observed in commemoration of the death and burial of Saint Martin of Tours.
- n. November 11, the day on which this feast is observed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. St Martin's day, 11th November. A Scottish quarter day.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The feast of St. Martin, the eleventh of November; -- often called martlemans.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A church festival formerly kept on November 11th, in honor of St. Martin, the patron saint of France.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the feast of Saint Martin; a quarter day in Scotland
Middle English martinmesse : Martin, Saint Martin of Tours + messe, masse, Mass; see Mass.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Martin + -mas (Wiktionary)