from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of an Iranian people, closely related to the Persians, inhabiting ancient Media.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An individual belonging to Western Iranian people who inhabited the ancient region of Media.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A native or inhabitant of Media in Asia.
- n. See 1st & 2d mead, and meed.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Middle English forms of mead and meed.
- n. A native or an inhabitant of Media, an ancient kingdom of Asia, south of the Caspian Sea, and later a part of the Persian empire.
Ultimately from Greek Mēdos, from Old Persian Māda.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin Medus, from Ancient Greek Μῆδος (Mēdos). (Wiktionary)