from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Variant of Melkite.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of Melkite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a sect, chiefly in Syria and Egypt, which acknowledges the authority of the pope, but adheres to the liturgy and ceremonies of the Eastern Church.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An orthodox Eastern Christian as distinguished from a Monophysite or Nestorian.
- Of or pertaining to the Melchites: as, the uncial Melchite alphabet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an Orthodox Christian or Uniate Christian belonging to the patriarchate of Alexandria or Antioch or Jerusalem
- n. an eastern Christian in Egypt or Syria who adheres to the Orthodox faith as defined by the council of Chalcedon in 451 and as accepted by the Byzantine emperor
Sorry, no etymologies found.