from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Christian feast observed in honor of the archangel Michael.
- n. September 29, the day on which this feast is observed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Christian feast in honour of the archangel Michael
- n. 29th September, the day it is celebrated
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The feast of the archangel Michael, a church festival, celebrated on the 29th of September. Hence, colloquially, autumn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A festival celebrated by the Roman Catholic Church, the Anglican, and some other churches on September 29th, in honor of the archangel Michael.
- n. September the 29th as one of the four quarter-days in England on which rents are paid.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. honoring the archangel Michael; a quarter day in England, Wales, and Ireland
Middle English mychelmesse, from Old English (Sanct) Michaeles mæsse, (Saint) Michael's mass : Michaeles, genitive of Michael, the archangel Michael + mæsse, Mass; see Mass.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Michael + -mas (Wiktionary)