from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of the world inhabited by people, imagined as a fortress encircled by a huge serpent and built by the Norse gods around the middle region of the universe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The middle space or region between heaven and hell; the abode of human beings.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The middle space or region between heaven and hell, the abode of human beings; the earth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Scand. myth., the abode of the human race, formed out or the eyebrows of Ymer, one of the first giants, and joined to Asgard, or the abode of the gods, by the rainbow-bridge. See Asgard.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Norse mythology) the abode of humans in Norse mythology
Old Norse Midhgardhr; see medhyo- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Icelandic, from Old Norse. (Wiktionary)