American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A principality on the Mediterranean Sea consisting of an enclave in southeast France. Probably settled by Phoenicians, it has been ruled by the Grimaldi family since the 13th century. At various times Monaco was under the protection of Spain, Sardinia, and France but regained its sovereignty in 1861. The village of Monaco, or Monaco-Ville, is the capital. Population: 32,700.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A silver coin of the value of 58 sols, bearing the arms of the Prince of Monaco.
- n. A country in Europe. Official name: Principality of Monaco.
- n. The capital of the principality of Monaco.
- n. a constitutional monarchy in a tiny enclave on the French Riviera
- From Ancient Greek μόνοικος (monoikos, "single house"), from μόνος (monos, "single, alone") + οἶκος (oikos, "house"), the name of the 6th century BC colony of Phocaeans and an epithet of Heracles (Hercules), Ἡρακλῆς Μόνοικος (Heracles Monoikos). According to an ancient Greek myth and a Ligurian legend, Heracles passed through the Monaco area. A temple was constructed there by Phocaeans, the temple of Heracles Monoikos (Strabo, Geography, Gaul, 4.6.3). (Wiktionary)
“MONACO (AP) - Michael Schumacher's illegal pass of Fernando Alonso near the end of the Monaco”
“There is no Robot Unicorn Attack in this episode: games. adultswim.com RADAR: MONACO FIRST LOOK Monaco is getting a lot of attention its an IGF finalist and was recently featured on Kotaku.”
“MONACO (MarketWatch) -- Before the global financial crisis, locals say a penthouse owner in Monaco with a choice view of the Grand Prix Formula One race could command five months rent just by subletting it to a visitor eager to watch the popular one-day auto race each spring.”
“MONACO (Reuters) - Prince Albert II of Monaco, son of late Hollywood star Grace Kelly, announced his engagement on Wednesday to South African Olympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock, ending decades as one of Europe's most eligible bachelors.”
“MONACO - Prince Albert II of Monaco, long one of Europe's most eligible bachelors, on”
“C02 plan monaco Monaco yacht show since 2005 CO2, carbon compensated.”
“MONACO - Hotel service in Monaco was limited and casino roulette wheels were expected to stop spinning Thursday as employees in the wealthy Mediterranean principality went on strike to protest job cuts, union leaders said.”
“MONACO (AFP) - Samuel Eto'o enjoyed a winning start to his Inter Milan career on Thursday when the Italian champions defeated French side Monaco 1-0 in a friendly match.”
“MONACO (Reuters) - Coldplay were crowned the world's top-selling act of 2008 at the World Music Awards (WMAs) in Monaco.”
“FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX OF MONACO, 2.075 mile street race course, Monte Carlo, Monaco”
‘Monaco’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Monaco.