American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of several Christian heresies of the second and third centuries A.D. that attempted to maintain monotheism and the unity of the Godhead but thereby denied the independent hypostasis of God the Son.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The theological doctrine respecting the Godhead maintained by the Monarchians.
- n. The beliefs of the Monarchians.
- Monarchian + -ism (Wiktionary)
- From Latin Monarchiānī, the Monarchians, from monarchia, monarchy; see monarchy. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Within the next hundred years these theories were systemized into what has since become known as Monarchianism, i.e., monos = one + archein = to rule, which postulates only one person in God.”
“Christian Gnostic beliefs were very much present in early Christianity, along with Logos Christology, Monarchianism, Unitarianism and, of course, Arianism.”
“When Tertullian wrote he himself was no longer in the Church; Monarchianism had sprung up again, but he does not mention its leaders at Rome, and directs his whole argument against his old enemy Praxeas.”
“Monarchianism, Sabellianism, and Arianism an opportunity was afforded to the Fathers and the oecumenical councils to establish the true meaning of the dogma of the Trinity, to secure it on all sides and to draw out, by speculation, its genuine import.”
“The combat which the Fathers waged against Monarchianism, Sabellianism, and Subordinationism (Arius, Macedonius) aids considerably in shedding light on the mystery.”
“Marcellus of Ancyra developed a Monarchianism of his own, which was carried much further by his disciple, Photinus.”
“The Monarchianism of Photinus (q. v.) seems to have been akin to that of the”
“Father as "Spirit" and the Son as "flesh", and it is scarcely surprising that the similar Monarchianism of Marcellus should have issued in the Theodotianism of Photinus.”
“Monarchianism was the protest against this learned philosophizing, which to the simplicity of the faithful looked too much like a mythology or a”
“Our chief original authorities for early Monarchianism of the”
‘Monarchianism’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Monarchianism.