American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation near Canis Major and Canis Minor.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A unicorn, or some other one-horned animal, real or imaginary.
- n. [capitalized] A constellation, the Unicorn, south of the Twins and the Crab, and between the two Dogs, introduced by Jacob Bartsch in 1624.
- n. The narwhal, Monodon monoceros.
- n. [capitalized] In zoology:
- n. A genus of prosobranchiates of the family Muricidæ, so called from the large spine on the outer lip; the unicorn-shells. There are several species from the west coast of America.
- n. A genus of balistoid fishes.
- n. astronomy A winter constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble a unicorn. It lies amid the Milky Way, just east of the constellation Orion.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A one-horned creature; a unicorn; a sea monster with one horn.
- n. (Astron.) The Unicorn, a constellation situated to the east Orion.
- First recorded by the astronomer Jakob Bartsch in 1624, but possibly created earlier by Petrus Plancius. From Latin monoceros, a "unicorn" (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, unicorn, from Old French, from Latin monocerōs, from Greek monokerōs, having one horn : mono-, mono- + keras, horn; see ker-1 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You'll find it about 2 degrees northeast of star 13 in Monoceros.”
“The system lies in the constellation Monoceros, and is about 480 light-years away.”
“The comet itself is now receding and tracking southwards in the constellation Monoceros, to the E of Orion in our morning sky.”
“The astronomers had a close look at the object known as MWC 147, lying about 2,600 light years away towards the constellation of Monoceros ( 'the Unicorn').”
“Our last object was Messier 50 also known as M 50 or NGC 2323 is an open cluster in the constellation Monoceros.”
“Open cluster Messier 50 M50, NGC 2323 is a pretty and considerably bright object located in a rich part of stars and nebulae in constellation Monoceros, near its border to Canis Major.”
“This unusual rocky world was the first planet found orbiting the star COROT-7, an orange dwarf in the constellation Monoceros, or the Unicorn.”
“The astronomers had a close look at the object known as MWC 147, lying about 2,600 light years away towards the constellation of Monoceros 'the Unicorn'.”
“He went on to show off his designations for the centaur species, Homoequis intellegus; invisible giant, Homotitan invisiblis; water griffin, Aquileo gryphonus; white unicorn, Monoceros alba; naga, Homoserpens hybris; and the huge sphinx, Homoleo giganticus.”
“V838 Mon is located about 20,000 light years from Earth in the direction of the constellation Monoceros, placing the star at the outer edge of the Milky Way.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Monoceros’.
very comprehensive list
of molluscs,who does not like
calamari? hmm yum
100,000 species just in molluscs
The International Astronomical Union (IAU) recognizes 88 official constellations.
Looking for tweets for Monoceros.