from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The first month of the Islamic calendar. See Table at calendar.
- n. A Shiite festival held during the first ten days of this month.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The first month of the Islamic calendar.
- proper n. A Shiite festival held during its first ten days; Ashura.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the first month of the Islamic calendar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A Moslem religious festival, held during the first month of the Mohammedan year.
- n. Also Moharram.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the first month of the Islamic calendar
Arabic muḥarram, passive participle of ḥarrama, to forbid, from ḥarama, to forbid; see ḥrm in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Arabic مُحَرّمٌ ("forbidden"), from حَرُمَ ("to be forbidden"). (Wiktionary)