from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Myrmecophagidae — the giant anteater.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. The type genus of the Myrmecophagidae; the South American ant bear.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The typical genus of ant-eaters of the family Myrmecophagidæ. M. jubata is the great or maned ant-eater or ant-bear of South America. See cuts under ant-bear, Edentata, and xenarthral.
- n. In ornithology, a genus of ant-birds: same as Formicarius.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. type genus of the Myrmecophagidae; South American ant bear
Sorry, no etymologies found.