from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or being a major human racial classification traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as brown to black pigmentation and often tightly curled hair and including peoples indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa. See Usage Note at race1.
- n. A member of this racial classification.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Characteristic of the negro.
- adj. Resembling the negro or negroes; of or pertaining to those who resemble the negro.
- n. A member of any one of several East African tribes whose physical characters show an admixture with other races.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Resembling or akin to the negroes. Also negroöid.
- n. An individual of a negroid race, such as those of Micronesia, the Negritos of the Philippine Islands, and the mixed tribes of northeastern Africa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person with dark skin who comes from Africa (or whose ancestors came from Africa)
- adj. characteristic of people traditionally classified as the Negro race
Negr(o) + -oid.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)