American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- Often called Hol·land (hŏlˈənd)Netherlands A country of northwest Europe on the North Sea. Inhabited by Germanic tribes during Roman times, the region passed to the Franks (4th-8th century), the Holy Roman Empire (10th century), the dukes of Burgundy (14th-15th century), and then to the house of Hapsburg. The northern part of the region formed the Union of Utrecht in 1579 and achieved its independence as the United Provinces in 1648 after the Thirty Years' War. In the 17th century the country enjoyed great commercial prosperity and expanded its territories in the East and West Indies and elsewhere. The kingdom of the Netherlands, proclaimed at the Congress of Vienna (1814-1815), included Belgium until 1830. Amsterdam is the constitutional capital and the largest city; The Hague is the seat of government. Population: 16,600,000.
- n. A country in northwestern Europe bordering Germany and Belgium. Official name: Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Netherlands.
- n. a constitutional monarchy in western Europe on the North Sea; half the country lies below sea level
- From nether (“lower”) + lands, the country being very low-lying, with a great part below sea level. (Wiktionary)
“PAUL ROMER, MANAGING DIRECTOR, ENDERMOL NETHERLANDS: We did the show because there's a huge shortage of donors in the Netherlands.”
“Netherlands the great standard work is now P.J. Blok, _History of the People of the Netherlands_, trans. in large part by O.A. Bierstadt, and for the Belgian Netherlands a corresponding function is performed in French by Henri Pirenne.”
“NETHERLANDS - The DLG is strengthening its presence in Western Europe with a new office in the Netherlands.”
“HEERLEN, THE NETHERLANDS -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/18/10 -- Royal DSM N.V. today announces its sponsorship of the Dutch bobsled team, TeamNL, which will represent the Netherlands at the Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver in February.”
“HEERLEN, NETHERLANDS -- (MARKET WIRE) -- 01/21/10 -- Royal DSM N.V., the global Life Sciences and Materials Sciences company headquartered in the Netherlands announces that today a new plant for the production of wet polyesters and other specialty resins in Meppen”
“HEERLEN, NETHERLANDS, Mar 18, 2009 (MARKET WIRE via COMTEX) -- Royal DSM N.V., the global Life Sciences and Materials Sciences company headquartered in the Netherlands, today announces the following management changes:”
“REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT TO THE PEOPLE OF THE NETHERLANDS AT "THANK YOU AMERICA" EVENT Wilhelmina Pier Rotterdam, Netherlands”
“HEAD OF REGULATORY AFFAIRS, GENERICS - NETHERLANDS: Netherlands”
“RUSSIA/NETHERLANDS: Russian Standard hits Netherlands with Maxxium”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Netherlands’.
A list of terms for land, landholdings, or words that contain the string -land-.
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Looking for tweets for Netherlands.