from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Oceania, to the east of Australia. Official name: New Zealand. Abbreviation: NZ or Aotearoa
- proper n. The islands of New Zealand, especially the North Island, South Island and nearby coastal islands.
- proper n. The Realm of New Zealand, including the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau and the Ross Dependency.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A group of islands in the South Pacific Ocean.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. North Island and South Island and adjacent small islands in the South Pacific
- n. an independent country within the British Commonwealth; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1907; known for sheep and spectacular scenery
From Dutch Nieuw-Zeeland, "new Zeeland", after the Dutch settlement in Batavia, which in turn had been named after the Dutch province of Zeeland. (Wiktionary)