from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mythology Any of a race of subterranean dwarfs whose hoard of riches and magic ring were taken from them by Siegfried.
- n. Mythology A follower of Siegfried.
- n. Mythology One of the Burgundian kings in the Nibelungenlied.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (German mythology) a companion or follower of Siegfried
- n. (German mythology) any of the race of dwarfs who possessed a treasure hoard that was stolen by Siegfried
German, from Middle High German Nibelunc, from Old High German Nibulunc, Nibilung.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)