from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Solanaceae — the tobacco plants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A genus of American and Asiatic solanaceous herbs, with viscid foliage and funnel-shaped blossoms. Several species yield tobacco. See tobacco.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of narcotic plants of the order Solanaceæ and the tribe Cestrineæ, known by the many-seeded capsule and cleft calyx.
- The literature of tobacco.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. American and Asiatic aromatic herbs and shrubs with viscid foliage
New Latin, from Jean Nicot, French ambassador to Portugal, who sent seeds back to France in 1561, + -iana (Wiktionary)