Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of narcotic plants of the order Solanaceæ and the tribe Cestrineæ, known by the many-seeded capsule and cleft calyx. The species are estimated at from 35 to 50, mostly American, with a few in Australasia and the Pacific islands; they are mainly herbs, a few shrubs, and one a small tree. They have undivided leaves, and white, yellowish, greenish, or purplish flowers in panicles or racemes. This is the tobacco genus, the common species being N. Tabacum. See
- The literature of tobacco.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A genus of American and Asiatic solanaceous herbs, with viscid foliage and funnel-shaped blossoms. Several species yield tobacco. See tobacco.
- n. American and Asiatic aromatic herbs and shrubs with viscid foliage
- New Latin, from Jean Nicot, French ambassador to Portugal, who sent seeds back to France in 1561, + -iana (Wiktionary)
“The name Nicotiana he derives from D. Johanne Nicotino Nemansensi, of the council of Francis II., who first introduced the plant into France.”
“The botanists, when they came to procure specimens of the different species of the plant, and to add it to their catalogues, gave to the genus the name Nicotiana, from the name of the French minister, who was the first to bring it into notice in Europe.”
“This herbe is called Nicotiana of the name of an ambassador which brought the first knowledge of it into this realme, in like manner as many plants do as yet retaine the names of certaine Greekes and Romans, who being strangers in divers countries, for their common-wealth's service, have from thence indowed their own countree with many plants, whereof there was no knowledge before.”
“Frenchman, being agent in Portugall for the French King, sent this sort of tobacco [Brazil] and not any other to the French Queene, and is called therefore herba Regina, and from Nicotiana, which is probably because the”
“John Nicot, (whence it obtains its common name Nicotiana) Lord of”
“Those plants are Nicotiana and have a heady perfume.”
“Start with Origin of Species for examples, such as Nicotiana.”
“Inside, it's a place where Dink, Robbo and Prem quaff home brew, put flame to their Nicotiana tabacum and discuss the relative merits of carrot varieties.”
“I was pleased I had added this layer of annuals and, joining them, the Nicotiana sylvestris were standing tall, their evening perfume hanging on the accumulated warmth of a late August day.”
“Temperature effects on the formation of DNA damage in Nicotiana tabacum leaf discs induced by UV-B irradiation.”
‘Nicotiana’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Nicotiana.