American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An Anglo-Saxon kingdom of northern England formed in the seventh century by the union of Bernicia and Deira, Angle kingdoms originally established c. A.D. 500. Much of Northumbria fell to invading Danes in the ninth century and was annexed to Wessex in 954.
- n. informal North-east England; Northumberland.
- n. historical An Anglo-Saxon kingdom in the Northeast of England.
- n. an Anglo-Saxon kingdom in northern England until 876
- Possibly from North of the River Humber. (Wiktionary)
“In answer to your question IG – yes he is and so are those in Northumbria Police who sent the Sergeant on an Anger Management Course in order to cover their backs.”
“May I also respectfully suggest that the SLT in Northumbria use their forthcoming vacations to grow a few vertebrae?”
“‘Pankhwala’ (Punkha-wallah) = chap who works a (manual) ceiling fan on March 26, 2010 at 2: 45 pm Jollyroger clearly, must have a few of them up in Northumbria on March 26, 2010 at 2: 45 pm Retired Sgt”
“How dare you believe that you have the confidence of anybody in Northumbria, much less the confidence or support of Police Officers/Members of the Public up and down the country?”
“In that fleet were their chief men, Hingwar and Hubba, associated by the devil, and they landed in Northumbria with their ships and wasted the land and slew the people.”
“Then Hingwar turned eastward with his ships, and Hubba was left in Northumbria, having won the victory by cruel means.”
“Design is clearly a feather in Northumbria's cap and the university's investment in the building sends a clear signal about that.”
“Northumbria is Jonathan Ive's old stomping ground.”
“A stolen rare book has been recovered and returned to the Alnwick Bookshop in Northumbria after being missing for five years.”
“Jo blogs doesn’t care that some fuckwit in Northumbria dropped a bollock by not only thinking this wasn’t a bad idea, but that it might even be a good idea, all he/she sees is the word Police.”
‘Northumbria’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Northumbria.