American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- abbr. Organization of American States
- Organization of American States
- Organisation de l’armée secrète
- Canada old age security
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. acronym The Organization of American States an international association of countries in the Western hemisphere. It was created in 1948 to promote military and economic and social and cultural cooperation.
- n. an association including most countries in the western hemisphere; created in 1948 to promote military and economic and social and cultural cooperation
“The United States demanded and obtained onerous exchange agreements and finally forged, under the title OAS, a real instrument of colonial administration under whose aegis it imposed the Rio de Janeiro military pact, the Inter-American Defense Board, the joint military maneuvers with which it trues to influence, indoctrinate and dominate the armed forces.”
“In effect, it would seem that the OAS is pushing for Honduras's government to violate its own constitution.”
“When I called the OAS press office for a statement on the travesty in Ecuador, the person who came to the phone would only say that the OAS has "no comment.”
“OAS is untouchable because of the raging grannies.”
“In this hemisphere, OAS is embryonic and largely without substance except as a meeting place and a clearing house for ideas.”
“Social Security's old age/survivor benefit called OAS, 10. 5% tax, is small compared to the same amount of money invested in a diversified pension account.”
“OAS is a tax shelter created by KBR under Cheney’s watch.”
“Talking with Americans," Sobel noted, "he Garcia tends to couch negative views of the United States as good-natured jokes from the past "When I was young, we used to call the OAS 'the Ministry of U.S.”
“When incidents arise between Latin American countries, such as the recent Colombia-Ecuador conflict, it is Brasilia, not Washington or the OAS, that is called in first as the trusted mediator.”
“Barahona stated this weekend, "What we expect is for the United States to comply with the agreement of the OAS, which is for the complete economic and political isolation of the coup and they still aren't doing it.”
‘OAS’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for OAS.