from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Native American people inhabiting northeast Nebraska since the late 17th century. The Omaha are closely related to the Ponca in language and history.
- n. A member of this people.
- n. The Siouan language of the Omaha.
- A city of eastern Nebraska on the Missouri River and the Iowa border. Founded in 1854 with the opening of the Nebraska Territory, it grew as a supply point for westward migration, especially after the coming of the railroad in 1869. It was territorial capital from 1855 to 1867. Population: 420,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The largest city in the state of Nebraska, United States.
- proper n. A tribe of Native Americans currently residing in northeastern Nebraska and western Iowa.
- proper n. The language spoken by the Omaha tribe.
- proper n. Omaha hold 'em
- n. A member of the Omaha tribe.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the Siouan people formerly living in the Missouri river valley in northeastern Nebraska
- n. thoroughbred that won the triple crown in 1935
- n. the Dhegiha dialect spoken by the Omaha
- n. largest city in Nebraska; located in eastern Nebraska on the Missouri river; a major transportation center of the Midwest
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 3/7/09: Framed by the FBI: A dozen reasons the 'Omaha Two' deserve a new trial (6 of 6) yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Framed by the FBI: A dozen reasons the \'Omaha Two\' deserve a new trial (6 of 6) '; yahooBuzzArticleSummary =' Article: Ed Poindexter and Mondo we Langa were denied a fair trial in 1971 and have been in prison ever since.
OMAHA -- An Omaha investment adviser has been indicted on federal charges accusing him of defrauding investors of more than $500,000.
OMAHA, NE (WIS) - The Gamecocks beat Clemson in an Omaha rematch Friday night at the
OMAHA - Health officials have confirmed at least 54 cases of salmonella in four states as part of an outbreak linked to alfalfa sprouts recalled by an Omaha company.
OMAHA - No injuries are reported in a fire at a paper recycling center in Omaha.
OMAHA - After Offutt Air Force base south of Omaha lost out on a new Air Force unit and the
OMAHA - An Omaha man has filed a lawsuit accusing his ex-wife and former father-in-law of hiding a recording device inside his daughter's teddy bear in order to spy on him.
OMAHA - A 23-year-old Omaha man has been sentenced to five years in federal prison after investigators found pornographic videos featuring children on his computer.
OMAHA - An Omaha woman and her husband are suing a medical supply company, alleging its device used to treat stress urinary incontinence was defective and seriously injured her.
OMAHA - The Omaha Archdiocese has reassigned a priest who is serving probation for stealing more than $83,000 from an Omaha parish.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.