from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The largest city of Sudan, in the northeast-central part on the White Nile opposite Khartoum. Anglo-Egyptian troops defeated Mahdi forces near here on September 2, 1898. It is the largest city in the country. Population: 2,810,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The largest city in Sudan. Part of the capital, Khartoum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A battle (1898) in which an Anglo-Egyptian army under Lord Kitchener defeated the Sudanese.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city of Sudan; located in the central Sudan on the White Nile opposite Khartoum
- n. a battle (1898) in which an English and Egyptian army under Kitchener defeated the Sudanese
Sorry, no etymologies found.