from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a tribe of eastern Goths that conquered and ruled Italy from A.D. 493 to 555.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any member of an ancient East Germanic tribe, one branch of the Goths (the Visigoths being the other), which invaded Italy in the sixth century
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. One of the Eastern Goths. See goth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of the more easterly of the two great historical divisions of the Goths (see Goth). They established a monarchy in Italy in 493, which was overthrown in 555. Also called East Goth.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the eastern group of Goths who created a kingdom in northern Italy around 500 AD
From Middle English Ostrogotes, Ostrogoths, from Late Latin Ostrogothī : ostro-, eastern (of Germanic origin) + Gothī, Goths; see Goth.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)