American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Chiefly British Oxford and Cambridge universities, especially when regarded as the seat of traditional academic excellence, privilege, and exclusiveness.
- adj. Of or characteristic of Oxbridge: spoke with an Oxbridge accent.
- n. The University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge collectively, in contrast to redbrick universities.
- n. general term for an ancient and prestigious and privileged university (especially Oxford University or Cambridge University)
- Blend of Oxford and Cambridge (Wiktionary)
- Ox(ford) + (Cam)bridge. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“OXBRIDGE APPLICATIONS: Oxbridge applications, we have a network of 500 former admissions, and we take the people that have been there and done it and help supply that information back to people who want to go there.”
“Those of my friends that went onto oxbridge changed schools, repeated their A levels and managed to get important grades to take them to Oxbridge.”
“Now even young, college-age Britons are pro-Tory now; a recent survey had Tory support in Oxbridge about 15% ahead of Labour.”
“And your thing about Oxbridge is somewhat outdated.”
“Went to Oxbridge, is treated as an axiomatic 'bad thing'.”
“Posted in Oxbridge, Polytechnics, Vocational Courses.”
“3 Despite rigorous reverse discrimination the proportion of students from under privileged backgrounds entering Oxbridge is declining annually”
“So it showed posh boys at prep school who, aged seven, could confidently name the Oxbridge college they planned to attend - and working-class girls discussing what they would do if they had a lot of money, "like two pounds".”
“Elite universities such as Oxbridge already hate pupils taking subjects like Media Studies, this just further singles subjects that are more academically established and stigmatises students who are more practical.”
“The fact is that those who go to state schools, especially schools that are less acclaimed, even if the students have the grades are less likely to want to go to universities such as Oxbridge because of the elite culture that surrounds it.”
Looking for tweets for Oxbridge.