American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country of southern Asia. Occupying land crisscrossed by ancient invasion paths, Pakistan was the home of the prehistoric Indus Valley civilization, which flourished until overrun by Aryans c. 1500 B.C. After being conquered by numerous rulers and powers, it passed to the British as part of India and became a separate Muslim state in 1947. The country originally included the Bengalese territory of East Pakistan, which achieved its separate independence in 1971 as Bangladesh. Pakistan became a republic in 1956. Islamabad is the capital and Karachi the largest city. Population: 165,000,000.
- n. Country in South Asia. Official name: Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A country in South Asia formerly part of British India.
- n. a Muslim republic that occupies the heartland of ancient south Asian civilization in the Indus River valley; formerly part of India; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1947
- From Urdu and Persian پاکستان "Land of the Pure", from پاک (pak, "pure, holy, immaculate, chaste, undefiled") and Persian ستان (stān, "-stan"). The word was coined by Choudhary Rahmat Ali, who published it in the pamphlet Now or Never issued on January 28, 1933 as an acronym of the names of the "Muslim homelands" of western India — Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, Sindh, and Balochistan. An i was later added to the English rendition of the name to ease pronunciation. (Wiktionary)
“USA arms pakistan to its teeth, China arms Pakistan to its teeth, Western countries pour billions down its throat.”
“Walau sepak terjangnya di politik pakistan penuh kontroversi, sampai akhirnya Muhammad Ali Jinnah mengambil ide Iqbal untuk mendirikan Pakistan, paling tidak dia sudah berusaha maksimal untuk berbuat terbaik bagi komunitasnya.”
“The Pakistan _Hurriyet of Karachi_ said: "A great Negro leader"; the _Pakistan Times_ said, "His death is a definite setback to the Negro movement for emancipation.”
“This constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in Title 17 USC section 107 of the US Copyright Law. peshawar pakistan flood www. oxfam.org.uk/pakistan-floods Millions of people have been affected by the worst flooding to hit Pakistan in living memory.”
“Indian Army Will Wipe Pakistan Out, you wont see a pakistan on the map if Pakistan army dares to have a strike at india.”
“A liquid-fueled second stage and possibly a small solid-fueled third stage" may follow, the New York Times notes. no US / pakistan deal on drone attacks from press tv: Pakistan denies reports that Islamabad had clinched a secret deal with Washington allowing drone attacks inside the country's tribal zones.”
“* AFGHANISTAN/PAKISTAN - Obama unveiled a new strategy for the conflict in Afghanistan that calls for a broader approach aimed at disrupting, dismantling and defeating al Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan and Pakistan.”
“Now USA and allies (NATO) attacking pakistan everyday and Govt. of Pakistan (PPP) is just formally protesting the strikes, In these Strikes they have killed many many females and kids who were completely innocent.”
“BENAZIR BHUTTO, FORMER PAKISTAN PRIME MINISTER: But I'm afraid that Pakistan is a nuclear arms country.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Pakistan’.
This is the place to add words you'd like Charles Harrington Elster to pronounce for you!
I stumbled across some horrible pictures on the net which prompted me to start this list because I don't ever want to go to the place where those pictures came from and see any of those people. So...
Looking for tweets for Pakistan.