American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A test for cancer, especially of the female genital tract, in which a smear of exfoliated cells is specially stained and examined under a microscope for pathological changes. Also called Pap test.
- n. gynaecology A screening test to detect pre-cancerous and cancerous cells by taking a sample (‘smear’) of cells from the cervix.
- n. a sample of secretions and superficial cells of the uterine cervix and uterus; examined with a microscope to detect any abnormal cells
- From Georgios Papanikolaou, Greek American physician. (Wiktionary)
- After George Papanicolaou (1883-1962), Greek-born American pathologist and cytologist. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Pap smear’.
Looking for tweets for Pap smear.