American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- An ancient country of southwest Asia corresponding to modern northeast Iran. It was included in the Assyrian and Persian empires, the Macedonian empire of Alexander the Great, and the Syrian empire. A Parthian kingdom lasted from c. 250 B.C. to A.D. 226, reaching the height of its influence and landholdings at the beginning of the first century B.C. Parthian soldiers were renowned as horsemen and archers.
- n. a region in northeastern Iran
- n. territories corresponding to the empire ruled by dynasts from Parthia.
- n. an ancient kingdom in Asia to the southeast of the Caspian Sea; it dominated southwestern Asia from about 250 BC to AD 226
- From Latin Parthia, from Parthava, the Parthian language self-designator signifying "of the Parthians". (Wiktionary)
“III. i--- In this theatre in Parthia, continually cut in production, Ventidius refrains from gaining as good good a feat for Rome over a Parthians glory contingency be indifferent for Antony!”
“Or, He shall have intelligence, both from the eastern and northern parts, that the king of Parthia is invading his kingdom.”
“South of this Parnian country lies what is now the province of Khorasan, mountainous; then a Seleucan satrapy known as Parthia; -- also inhabited by Turanians, but of a little more settled sort; the satrap was Andragoras, who, like Diodotus in”
“On one particular occasion, Harry said to him: "I'm riding a horse called Parthia and there's a good chance that we'll win the Derby.”
“Parthia," they said, "had indeed degenerated from her former self to have requested a king to be sent her who belonged to another world and had had a hostile civilization ingrained into him.”
The Seven Great Monarchies Of The Ancient Eastern World, Vol 6. (of 7): Parthia The History, Geography, And Antiquities Of Chaldaea, Assyria, Babylon, Media, Persia, Parthia, And Sassanian or New Persian Empire; With Maps and Illustrations.
“His trek through Hyrcania, Parthia, Bactria, Sogdiana, India, Gedrosia, and Carmania had covered thousands of miles over blistering deserts, towering mountains, and steaming jungles.”
“They had traveled from the Persian homeland north to Media, chased Darius east across Parthia and taken a detour into Hyrcania on the Caspian Sea.”
“His plan was to move east into the deserts and mountains of Parthia, Bactria, Sogdiana, and the borderlands of India to wage a guerrilla campaign against the Macedonians.”
“This suggests that Romans themselves probably stirred up one of the myriad subject peoples of Parthia to themselves revolt, since the Parthian Great Kings spent basically all of their reigns in the saddle, or that Nero was paying them an enormous amount to stay out, or that the Romans got insanely lucky, and the Great King was involved somewhere else, either warring in the East or facing a civil war of his own.”
“However, lions are not indigenous to China, and the first lion was reportedly presented by Parthia in the first century.”
‘Parthia’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Parthia.