from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The larger and inner of the two planetary satellites of Mars.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A son of Ares (Mars). Also the Greek god of fear.
- proper n. The innermost natural satellite of Mars.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The inner of the two satellites of the planet Mars, discovered by Asaph Hall at Washington, in August, 1877.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the larger of the two satellites of Mars
Greek, fear, deity who personifies fear, from phobos, fear; see -phobe.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Ancient Greek φόβος (phobos, "fear"). (Wiktionary)