from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Arizona, in the south-central part of the state northwest of Tucson. Settled c. 1868, it became territorial capital in 1889 and state capital in 1912. The city is noted as a winter and health resort. Population: 1,510,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the tribe Phoeniceae — the date palms.
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the family Sphingidae — certain butterflies.
- proper n. A mythical firebird; especially the sacred one from ancient Egyptian mythology
- proper n. A spring constellation of the southern sky, said to resemble the mythical bird. It lies north of Tucana.
- proper n. A character in the Iliad and father of Adonis in Greek mythology or a different character in Greek mythology, brother of Europa and Cadmus
- proper n. The capital city of Arizona, United States.
- proper n. A nickname sometimes used for Japan after World War II.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor
- n. a large monocotyledonous genus of pinnate-leaved palms found in Asia and Africa
- n. a legendary Arabian bird said to periodically burn itself to death and emerge from the ashes as a new phoenix; according to most versions only one phoenix lived at a time and it renewed itself every 500 years
- n. the state capital and largest city located in south central Arizona; situated in a former desert that has become a prosperous agricultural area thanks to irrigation
PHOENIX mdash; Some 30 protesters stood in a circle and prayed outside the federal courthouse in Phoenix before a hearing to determine if Arizona's immigration ...
PHOENIX mdash; Sheriff's deputies raided two Sizzler steak house restaurants in Phoenix on Saturday, arresting nine employees who are suspected of being illegal immigrants and ...
PHOENIX — A small plane sputtered and crashed into a building near a north Phoenix airport Wednesday, killing the pilot and sending huge clouds of smoke into the early-morning sky.
PHOENIX — Six people were killed Friday when a passenger bus hit another vehicle and rolled over on the interstate south of Phoenix, authorities said.
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix bench finally delivered as advertised, and it could hardly have come at a better time.
PHOENIX — The Phoenix bench finally delivered as advertised, and it could hardly have come at a better time.
PHOENIX - Civil rights activist Reverend Al Sharpton and ACORN CEO Bertha Lewis jumped into the fray Tuesday, threatening to bring their vast national networks to march in the streets of Phoenix if Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who is currently under investigation by the U.S.
PHOENIX -- For the second time in the last couple of weeks, the Phoenix real estate crisis has turned violent.
PHOENIX, AZ -- A scuffle ensued Saturday when members of the National Socialist Movement (Neo-Nazis) found themselves shut out of an anti-immigration Tea Party protest at the Phoenix capitol.
PHOENIX, AZ -- "Kill Obama" was spray painted in purple on campaign signs at two locations in Cave Creek, a suburb of Phoenix, according to the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.