Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A country girl; a shepherdess; a sweetheart: a common name for such in old romances, pastoral poems, etc.
- To address or celebrate in amatory verses.
- n. A genus of undershrubs of the gamopetalous order Rubiacæ and the tribe Anthospermeæ, characterized by stamens inserted on the base of the corolla, and fruit consisting of two pyriform indehiscent carpels. The only species is a native of the Canaries and the island of Madeira. It bears opposite or whorled, broadly lanceolate leaves, stipules united with the petioles into a sheath, and numerous minute whitish flowers in panicles, with thread-like erect stems, nodding in fruit. It is cultivated as a hardy ever green, sometimes under the name of bastard hare's-ear (which see, under
- n. Greek mythology A girl who killed herself for love, and was turned into an almond tree.
- n. A female given name derived from the mythological character.
- From Ancient Greek Φυλλίς (Phullis, "foliage"). (Wiktionary)
“Phyllis is a statistician at the Food and Drug Administration.”
“I mean almost every episode I find myself wondering how is it that Jan hasn't fired him yet ... or ... that one of his employee's hasn't killed him yet (if I had been in Phyllis & Bob's shoes I may have done that after some of the stunts he pulled at the wedding).”
“But full-blown psycho-Mike reared his ugly head in "Phyllis 'Wedding".”
“She mentions a couple, but deep down Phyllis is a self hating old bitty.”
“So much so that Phyllis is now suggesting that I do a series: "Who maimed Canadian Mathematics?”
“An umbel, Phyllis, is a number of blossoms starting from a common centre on a single stalk.”
“Caecilia; I have used the name Phyllis in my version.”
“When he calls Phyllis he tells her Brad is there and he told him to ask her why he was there.”
“I have some videos on "Phyllis" -- it was a mostly funny show, esp. anything with Mother Dexter.”
“Apart from her Oscar, she's won eight prime time Emmy awards - more than any other female performer - for her work on TV's "Mary Tyler Moore Show" and the title role in its spinoff, "Phyllis" - and a Daytime Emmy award.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Phyllis’.
Or honey, or baby, or ...
(A Valentine's Day list.)
In response to Wilfred J. Funk's "ten most beautiful words in the English language" list of 1932.
Assorted terms for syphilis
Looking for tweets for Phyllis.