Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Garrod's classification, a superfamily of anomalogonatous picarian birds, having a tufted oil-gland, one carotid, and no cæca, including the Picidæ and some related families: contrasted with Cypseliformes.
- n. In Coues's system (1884), the woodpeckers alone as a suborder of Picariæ, composed of the three families Picidæ, Picumnidæ, and Iyngidæ.
- n. A taxonomic order within the subclass Neognathae — the woodpeckers, barbets, toucans, jacamars, puffbirds and honeyguides etc.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A group of birds including the woodpeckers, toucans, barbets, colies, kingfishes, hornbills, and some other related groups.
- n. woodpeckers; jacamars; puffbirds; barbets; honey guides; toucans.
“Anatomy and evolution of the feeding apparatus in the avian orders Coraciiformes and Piciformes.”
Looking for tweets for Piciformes.