from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Simple and kind: a Pickwickian uncle.
- adj. Meant or understood in an idiosyncratic or unusual way: a word used in a Pickwickian manner.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. arbitrary or meaningless (of the usage of a word or phrase)
- adj. Having, or relating to, Pickwickian syndrome.
- adj. Of or relating to The Pickwick Papers, its storyline, or its characters (chiefly Mr Pickwick himself).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Relating to or resembling Mr. Pickwick, the hero of Dickens's “Pickwick Papers.”
After Mr. Pickwick, central character in The Posthumous Papers of the Pickwick Club by Charles Dickens.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Pickwick + -ian, from The Pickwick Papers (1836) by Charles Dickens. (Wiktionary)