American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Columba and Dorado.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. astronomy A summer constellation of the southern sky, said to resemble an easel. It lies between the constellations Carina and Dorado.
- n. a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Dorado and Columba
- Named by the French astronomer Nicolas Louis de Lacaille in 1763. From Latin pīctor, an "easel" (Wiktionary)
- Latin pictor, painter, from pingere, to paint; see peig- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The name of the principal artist was Walter; he is dignified by the name of "Pictor," but he only received Eightpence per week, "_præter mensam et robam_" the”
“The "Pictor" is the earliest, and the palest, of Browning's pale ascetics, who make, in one way or another, the great refusal, and lose their souls by trying to save them in a barrenness which they call purity.”
“The first Roman historian was Fabius Pictor, and he was inspired to write at the end of the third century B.C. by the war with Hannibal, but he did so in Greek.”
“Don't get any crazy ideas now. by Mad City Cakes by Melissa O by ackblom12 by Mike Pictor by Cryptonaut”
“My father served on the USS Pictor AF-54 during the Korean War.”
“The USS Pictor AF-54 was completely scrapped on June 16, 1987 in Kaohsiung, Taiwan according to the Release of Contract and Surety letter from the U.S.”
“I would like to add the information to the USS Pictor web site.”
“I am trying to obtain photos taken during the 1980s of Tajenkung Pier in Kaohsiung, Taiwan where the USS Pictor was scrapped.”
“Alexander Gilchrist's wife, Anne, is a particularly interesting point of contact between Blake and Whitman: she finished Life of William Blake, "Pictor ignotus”
“Historians like Fabius Pictor stated categorically that it was salt made Rome the biggest city in Italia, and its people the most powerful.”
Looking for tweets for Pictor.