from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A borough of northwest England north-northeast of Liverpool. The Jacobites surrendered here after an uprising in 1715. Population: 184,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An industrial city in Lancashire, England.
- proper n. Several other towns and villages.
- proper n. An English surname derived from any of the placenames.
- proper n. A male given name, transferred from the surname.
Old English prēost ("priest") + tūn ("settlement"). (Wiktionary)