American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Greek Mythology Relating to or suggestive of Prometheus.
- adj. Boldly creative; defiantly original.
- n. One who is boldy creative or defiantly original in behavior or actions.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or resembling Prometheus in Greek mythology, who showed men various arts, including the use of fire, and by the will of Zeus was chained to a rock and tortured by a vulture.
- [lowercase] In entomology, of or pertaining to the prometheus; being or known as the prometheus: as, a promethean silkworm.
- n. A small glass tube containing sulphuric acid, and surrounded by an inflammable mixture which it ignited on being pressed: formerly used for affording a ready light.
- adj. Of or pertaining to Prometheus.
- adj. Daringly original; boldly inventive or creative.
- adj. Of enormous size or strength; extraordinarily strong.
- adj. Rebelling (or being a rebel) against a larger order; defying traditional moral categories; persecuted but dauntless.
- n. one who acts in a Promethean manner
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to Prometheus. See Prometheus.
- adj. Having a life-giving quality; inspiring.
- n. An apparatus for automatic ignition.
- n. A kind of lucifer match.
- From Prometheus a Greek demigod and the son of the Titan Iapetus. Prometheus created man from clay and gifted him with fire, for which he was punished by Zeus who chained Prometheus to a rock in the Caucasus where a vulture came and daily fed on his liver. Prometheus means "forethought" in Greek, from pro- "before" + mathein "to learn." (Wiktionary)
“Death, Hemans reminds the sceptic Promethean, is not played out before”
“Super Reader: Superhero Prose Fiction: Merlin - Promethean Age 1 Whiskey and Water skip to main | skip to sidebar”
“All of these books together are part of series called the Promethean Age that Campbell Award-winner Elizabeth Bear suggests on her website might encompass 12 volumes when complete.”
“But as we are using long words beginning with P, I would call it Promethean.”
“It ` s called a Promethean (ph) and will feature a flame blue velvet interior and a hand-polished mirror finish.”
“Promethean, which is now expected to expand further into U.S.”
“Shirley DeShazo, elementary school math teacher, calls the Promethean technology”
“According to TMZ. com, the casket, called a Promethean, will feature a blue velvet interior and a hand-polished, mirror finish.”
“The 'Thriller' hit maker will be laid to rest in a gleaming gold plated coffin, known as The Promethean, just like his idol, soul legend James Brown, reported Sun online.”
“It is called the Promethean and is the same style used for the singer James Brown.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Promethean’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Adjectives, such as quixotic, whose root is the name of an artist, poet, writer, or literary character.
For additional eponyms see the lists Namesakes and Lend Me Your Name. I've liste...
Every time I finally decipher Kevin Barnes's song lyrics, I feel somewhat smarter.
These are strange/big/obscure words and phrases from the lyrics of the band 'of Montreal' (intentiona...
Words as I learn them.
These are words I come across in reading various articles.
Looking for tweets for Promethean.