- n. Judaism, Christianity The area historically known as Judea, which was promised to the Israelites by God according to oral tradition recorded in the Book of Genesis.
- n. Mormonism America.
- n. idiomatic Any place to which one eagerly seeks to go and which one expects to greatly improve one's situation.
- n. idiomatic Heaven or the afterlife.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. See Land of promise, under Land.
- n. any place of complete bliss and delight and peace
- n. the goal towards which Christians strive
- n. an ancient country in southwestern Asia on the east coast of the Mediterranean Sea; a place of pilgrimage for Christianity and Islam and Judaism
“Moses and Aaron entrance to the Promised Land on account of their doubt; Aaron dies while the people go around the Idumean mountains; the malcontents are punished with fiery serpents.”
“Moses began the emancipation of the Jews, but didn't take Israel to the Promised Land after all.”
“- Command to destroy the Chanaanites; limits of the Promised Land and names of the men who are to divide it; Levitical cities, and cities of refuge; law concerning murder and manslaughter; ordinance concerning the marriage of heiresses.”
“They live a life of constant inspiration, as if they were not guided by their own frail judgment, but, like Moses, by the smoke and the flame of God through a desert, through suffering and success, through happiness and misfortune, until they might see before them the Promised Land of Victory, some destined to enjoy the full possession of it, and others to die with no other happiness than that of leaving an inheritance to their successors.”
“Its most elevated spot was "the Mount Nebo, head of the Pisgah," from which Moses viewed the Promised Land before his death.”
“When I think of how long I thirsted in the Promised Land”
“Mary Antin, who was brought from a Russian ghetto at the age of thirteen, gave us in The Promised Land a most impressive interpretation of America's significance to the foreign-born.”
“The streets of the Promised Land flowed not with milk and honey but with ordure, and the glories of Askalon and Asdod were faded indeed.”
‘Promised Land’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Promised Land.