from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Judaism The 14th of Adar, observed in celebration of the deliverance of the Jews from massacre by Haman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A Jewish festival, celebrated on the 14th day of Adar, commemorating the deliverance of the Persian Jews from a massacre.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Jewish festival, called also the Feast of Lots, instituted to commemorate the deliverance of the Jews from the machinations of Haman.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An annual festival observed by the Jews on the 14th and 15th of the month Adar (about the 1st of March).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Judaism) a Jewish holy day commemorating their deliverance from massacre by Haman
Hebrew pûrîm, pl. of pûr, lot (from the lots Haman cast to decide the day of the massacre, Esther 9:24-26), from Akkadian pūru, lot.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew פורים (literally "lots"). (Wiktionary)