from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of any of several powerful Hindu landowning and military lineages inhabiting northern and central India.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the Kshatriya Hindu caste
- n. An inhabitant of Rajasthan
- n. Any of an ethnic group in Pakistan and Northern India who converted to Sikhism or Islam as a result of the Sikh Wars
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of a Hindu race, divided into numerous clans, who regard themselves as descendants of the ancient Kshatriya or warrior caste.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the dominant Hindu military caste in northern India
Hindi rājpūt, from Sanskrit rājaputraḥ, king's son : rājā, king; see rajah + putraḥ, son.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)