American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Sanskrit epic, traditionally attributed to Valmiki, that concerns the banishment of Rama from his kingdom, the abduction of his wife Sita by a demon and her rescue, and Rama's eventual restoration to the throne.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of one of the two great, epic poems of ancient India, the other being the Mahabharata. It gives the history of Rama, especially of his expedition through the Decean to Ceylon, to recover, by the aid of the monkey-god Hanuman, his wife Sita, carried away thither by Ravana.
- n. One of the ancient Sanskrit epic of Hindu mythology about the incarnation of Vishnu, the Rāma.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The more ancient of the two great epic poems in Sanskrit. The hero and heroine are Rama and his wife Sita.
- n. one of two classical Hindu epics telling of the banishment of Rama from his kingdom and the abduction of his wife by a demon and Rama's restoration to the throne
- Sanskrit Rāmāyaṇam, the going of Rama : Rāmaḥ, Rama + ayanam, a going, way (from eti, ay-, he goes; see ei- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The Ramayana is one of the most well-known stories in the world, is considered to be the earliest epic written several millennia ago.”
“Those epics are called the Ramayana and the Mahabharata.”
“Since that time, this amazing story has been called the Ramayana as recorded by the great yogi/sage Valmiki.”
“According to Nehru Ramayana is a story of how north indians vanquished south indians (Ref to his Discovery of India)”
“Ramayana is a story of vanquishing of South By North so how can the second hero of Ramayana "Hanuman" be acceptable to South Indians.”
“The story, recounted in the sacred narrative called Ramayana, seems especially appropriate right now, and the character of Ravana offers a fitting comparison for Anwar al-Awlaki and others like him.”
“American cartoonist Nina Paley has one of the hottest indie movies around, Sita Sings the Blues (rating: 86), her animated retelling of the classic Hindi story called the Ramayana, set to the jazz songs of 1920's torch singer Annette Hanshaw.”
“And now I have high praise for the review copy I received of Sanjay Patel's interpretation of the tale, called Ramayana: Divine Loophole.”
“As mentioned earlier, the Ramayana is a single poem of twenty-four thousand Sanskrit verses.”
“CLSA has a 12-month price target of 1,035 rupiah for Ramayana, which is 38% higher than Friday's close of 750 rupiah.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Ramayana’.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for Ramayana.