from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The diet of the Holy Roman Empire
- proper n. The lower chamber of the federal parliament of Germany until 1945
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Diet, or House of Representatives, of the German empire (and of the Weimar Republic), which was composed of members elected for a term of three years by the direct vote of the people. This term is no longer (in 1997) applied to the German parliament. See also bundesrath.
- n. The national representative body of Hungary, consisting of a House of Magnates (including archdukes, peers, high officials of the Roman Catholic, Greek, and Protestant Churches, and certain other dignitaries) and a House of Representatives (in 1912 consisting of 453 members). See Legislative, Diet.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The chief deliberative body in certain countries of Europe.
German imperial parliament (Wiktionary)