from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A rich velouté made with chicken stock, cream, and egg yolks. Also called sauce suprême.
- n. A dish made or served with this sauce, especially the breast and wing of chicken or other fowl. Also called suprême de volaille.
- n. A sherbet glass with a large bowl.
- n. A dessert served in such a glass.
- n. A container, such as a glass bowl, used for serving cold food in an inner container that nestles on crushed or cracked ice.
- n. Food served in such a vessel.
French, supreme, suprême, from Latin suprēmus, supreme; see supreme.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)