from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
- n. A hot sandwich consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut usually served on rye bread.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grilled or toasted sandwich made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and either Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing.
- proper n. First son of Jacob, by his wife Leah.
- proper n. One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Reuben.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Old Testment) a son of Jacob and forefather of one of the tribes of Israel
- n. a hot sandwich with corned beef and Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye bread
From the name Reuben.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Hebrew רְאוּבֵן (r'uvén), from רְאוּ (r'ú, "see [masculine plural imperative]") + בֵּן (ben, "son"); its literal meaning is therefore roughly, "See, all: a son!" (Wiktionary)