from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, a son of Jacob and Leah and the forebear of one of the tribes of Israel.
- n. A hot sandwich consisting of corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut usually served on rye bread.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grilled or toasted sandwich made with corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and either Russian dressing or Thousand Island dressing.
- proper n. First son of Jacob, by his wife Leah.
- proper n. One of the Israelite tribes, descended from Reuben.
- proper n. A male given name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Old Testment) a son of Jacob and forefather of one of the tribes of Israel
- n. a hot sandwich with corned beef and Swiss cheese and sauerkraut on rye bread
Gloria Reuben is a nationally known environmental activist and a special advisor to The Alliance for Climate Protection.
We’ll never get a description out of her, and the name Reuben is a fiction.
Reuben Reuben is an Inuit young man who is an excellent hockey player.
Paul Reuben is reportedly in the "pre-pre-pre-production" stage of a pair of Pee Wee Herman flicks, one for kids, another for adults.
And Leah conceived, and bare a son, and she called his name Reuben: for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.
And Le'ah conceived, and bare a son; and she called his name Reuben: 19 for she said, Surely the LORD hath looked upon my affliction; now therefore my husband will love me.
His voice was peaceful enough when he called Reuben to him, but his face hardened as he waited while Reuben took his time about coming.
And Leah conceived and bore a son, and she called his name Reuben ( "behold, a son"), for she said: .... because
She had seen this look in Reuben's face when he gazed wistfully at the blossoming apple boughs in the spring, and the thought came to her that just this attitude of soul – this steadfast courage in the face of circumstance – was the thing that life was meant to teach them both at the end.
"Well, I must be goin ', Reuben," she said presently, rising from her chair.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.