from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Santa Claus.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A 4th century Greek bishop from Anatolia.
- proper n. The patron saint of children.
- proper n. The patron saint of the marines in the Orthodox tradition.
- proper n. The American, Latin American, and British variant of the European folk myth of Saint Nicholas, explaining the source of Christmas presents given to children on Christmas Day.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A Dutch saint, who was reputed to bring gifts to children on Christmas even, giving rise to the modern legend of Santa Claus.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the legendary patron saint of children; an imaginary being who is thought to bring presents to children at Christmas
- n. a bishop in Asia Minor who is associated with Santa Claus (4th century)
Sorry, no etymologies found.