from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a tribe of Franks who settled in the Rhine region of the Netherlands in the fourth century A.D.
- n. A Salian Frank.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of a Frankish people of the 4th century who lived on the Ijssel river.
- adj. Of or pertaining to the Salian people.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Denoting a tribe of Franks who established themselves early in the fourth century on the river Sala [now Yssel]; Salic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or belonging to a tribe of Franks settled along the lower Rhine near the North Sea. See Franconian and Frank.
- n. A member of this tribe of Franks.
- Of or pertaining to the Salii or priests of Mars in ancient Rome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the tribe of Franks who settled in the Netherlands in the 4th century AD
From Late Latin Saliī, the Salian Franks.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Latin Salii ("a division of the Franks") (from Sala ("Ijssel river")) + -an (Wiktionary)