from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The third Sunday before Lent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A Sunday in the Christian calendar nine weeks before Easter Sunday.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The third Sunday before Lent; -- so called because it is about seventy days before Easter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A period of seventy days.
- n. [capitalized] The third Sunday before Lent: more fully called Septuagesima Sunday.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the 3rd Sunday before Lent (or the 9th before Easter)
Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin septuāgēsima (diēs), seventieth (day), feminine of Latin septuāgēsimus, from septuāgintā, seventy; see Septuagint.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin septuagesima dies ("70th day"). (Wiktionary)