from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Mythology An ancient Egyptian god of the lower world, also worshiped in ancient Greece and Rome.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An Egyptian deity, at first a symbol of the Nile, and so of fertility; later, one of the divinities of the lower world. His worship was introduced into Greece and Rome.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The Roman name of a deity of Egyptian origin whose worship was officially promoted under the Ptolemies, and was introduced into Greece and Rome.
- n. In conchology, a genus of gastropods.
- n. In entomology, a genus of hymenopterous insects.
Sorry, no etymologies found.