from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- In the Bible, a young man who with Abednego and Meshach emerged unharmed from the fiery furnace of Babylon.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. One of the captives in the Bible that came out of the fiery furnace unharmed.
- proper n. A male given name of biblical origin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mass of iron on which the operation of smelting has failed of its intended effect; -- so called from Shadrach, one of the three Hebrews who came forth unharmed from the fiery furnace of Nebuchadnezzar. (See Dan. iii. 26, 27.)
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In metallurgy, same as salamander, 10.
From Hebrew שַׁדְרַךְ (shadrákh), from a Babylonian language. (Wiktionary)